Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The New Account: Part 1

The office was buzzing this morning because our company just got a brand new account. We get new accounts all the time, but this one is different. As my boss says, this is a "company-changer." What he means by that is our company is going to reap major benefits from this deal.

My one and only thought when I heard this news was: This better not affect me in any way. In no way, shape, or form did I want any involvement with this new account. I didn't even want to know the name of the company, that's how little involvement I wanted with this new account. I knew how important this was going to be for the company and I couldn't afford to fuck it up, which I know I would do if given the opportunity.

Supposedly, the higher-ups in the company, whose job it is to try and get new accounts, have been actively recruiting this company for a while. By the way it was told to me, it sounded as if an executive heard the name of this company, they would have dropped anything from them. I'd imagine that included dropping to their knees to provide a specific service.

Why does this involve me? Someone, who apparently wants this new relationship to sour immediately, decided to put me on the team for the account. My boss buzzed me to join him in his office to break the news.

He didn't come right out and tell me that I was chosen to be a part of the team, rather he decided to stress how significant this moment is for everyone involved - including himself. My boss finally came out and said it, but not before prefacing it by telling me that this is extremely important for both mine and his career.

"You won't believe this..." I knew I could say anything I wanted - I was in the driver's seat for this ride.

"You finally decided to get that sex change?"

"Geez..." He was flabbergasted. "The executives, for some reason, decided to put you on the team for the new big account. For some reason, they like you. For some reason, they thought you'd be perfect for the assignment."

"I get the sense that you don't agree. I can't put my finger on it, but for some reason, I feel that way."

He bypassed my correct assessment of the situation, and proceeded to tell me that the entire team would be meeting in the conference room at noon. He harped on the importance of this decision. "You and I will be linked to how well you do on this project. Don't forget that!" I instantly forgot this detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment