Friday, January 3, 2014

The Test: Part 2

Hours passed and I kept on with the same routine I do every day. About a 50/50 split of work and rest time. Okay, it was more like 10% work and 90% rest split. To be honest with you, I could have done nothing all day and got away with it - no one was checking up on me.

That fact was a little disconcerting, because if something were to happen to me, chances are no one was making a rescue. For instance, if I came down with a fatal case of Carpel Tunnel Syndrome via excess Internet surfing, someone would find me the next morning in an uncompromising situation. Whomever discovered me would see me on the floor, grasping my wrist, with multiple Internet windows opened (opened to sports, entertainment, and whatever websites I was reading at that moment), multiple computer games (Solitaire, FreeCell, Minesweeper, AND Internet Checkers, and not a single work document along the bottom scroll.

During one of my "rests" aka breaks, I got up out of my cubicle and stared outside the window. I watched as the snow continued to come down, accompanied with swirling winds. My attention was shifted to the streets, specifically, the lack of people roaming the streets. With the exception of snow plows, the streets were full of snow and absent of people.

The bleakness of the scene was interrupted by a tap on my shoulder. It was my boss.

"You should probably go home." I've already committed this far, there was no way I was going to back down now. Not only was this a test, but it also became a game. Was he trying to "outwit, outplay, and outlast" me? If so, there was no way I was going to lose this version of cubicle Survivor.

Looking back out the window, I crossed my arms, and confidently told him, "No. I'm good." Jeff Probst won't be snuffing out my torch anytime soon... That sounded dirty than I intended.

"Suit yourself." He once again said to me. 

Maybe I was suffering from cabin fever or maybe I was just bored, but I convinced myself that not only was my boss testing me, but he was also competing against me. He wanted to prove that he can overcome the obstacles (the weather) that were thrown our way and stay in the office the longest. He wanted to prove he is the toughest in the office. Well, I wanted to do something besides working and this conveniently happened to entertain me at the moment.

I was about to get real primal in this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment